Friday, June 16, 2006

bob, bubble, & beatles

I was waiting to get some pictures from a friend before I posted this week.

Friday I had off and I visited a friend in Hoboken who was working. We went to a local coffee shop and relaxed and caught up. It was nice to be able to have some time to catch up with friends who you'd otherwise not see on a normal week. She also gave me a book that she was the publishing editor for. It must be so satisfying to have your name on a piece of work that you had a hand in producing. That's so cool!

On my way back home I ran into Ivan, Sof, and Adam who were maliciously loitering around in the street. They were hungry and we all ended up going (back) down to Charritos in Hoboken. The food there is so dangerously good.

After my class I visited my family to join them for lunch. Visiting home reminds me of how much I missed my family's cooking and it left me craving for real food for the rest of the week. :-)

On Sunday we had a performance at the Jersey City Museum. Ivan was playing Bob Dylan's Ballad of a Thin Man and his guitar teacher and myself were accompanying him.
IMG_0037
We were the last act in the last show, so you can say that we were headlining the headlining show. =) Ivan's friend came over to take these pictures and help us move all the equipment and just to see the performance. Ivan's sister and her friend also came to see the show.
IMG_0042 IMG_0045
IMG_0049

Ideally we wanted to hang out with everyone afterwards to celebrate, but we had a salsa class in Hoboken that we had to get ready for afterwards (after fixing the neighbor's air conditioner). The class was a private 1x1 lesson and before us there was a couple learning to do a ballroom dance for their wedding that was the following weekend. That was their last lesson of 4 lessons and they had their dance down. The salsa class was a lot of fun too and the girl who helped out the instructor was a girl I knew back from our college days as well as the days when we use to drive down to the group lessons, which stopped after the accident. Private lessons are a little more than group lessons but they progress much faster and you get more out of it because of new people who'd join the class every week.


Afterwards we went back home to change and then went back down to Sinatra Park to see a show that was rescheduled due to rain last Thursday. The band was called Bubble and they were doing the whole Abbey Road and A Hard Days Night album. They were excellent! We bought their album of original music too. Apparently last year they did the whole White Album. That must have been great too...it was probably the best Beatles performance I've seen.

I realized that the next best thing to seeing a concert in New York, is see a concert with New York as its backdrop. It's even better when the band's musicians are pro and the music is awesome...it leaves me with such a satisfied feeling...

IMG_8188 IMG_8194
Afterwards we went to The Brass Rail to do a little celebrating for our show earlier in the day. We both had one of the specials, tilapia, and a really good bottle of wine. Ivan said if was the best weekend of his life and I agreed. It was a lot of fun, especially since the show went really well!

Here is a clip of Bubble doing Carry That Weight (it may only work in IE), if you listen real carefully you can get an idea of how beautiful the strings sound (!!!) :



I will try to post a video from the show when I get a chance!

4 comments:

noel said...

i love songs with violins and the such in them.

Shaman8933 said...

I love songs with string instruments...they're so pretty!!

Thanks Loren! =) Sof took video, so when we get it I'll post it...someone was also taping it and they're going to put it on DVD! =)

Liza said...

I love that picture of you and Ivan and the guy in between you two. :P

Shaman8933 said...

I know! When I opened it up on my pictures and I saw his melon head there I "LOL'd"!!! It looks so rediculous and funny!

I'm surprised no one else noticed!