Tuesday, May 30, 2006

softball

So, I am on the Softball Team at work. Last year a co-worker/friend of mine got me to join. I warned him that I wasn't that good, but he said that it was more for fun. So, I, not being one to turn down fun of most sorts, joined the team. I'm #12.

I didn't want to be a bad player so I did my best to learn to learn fast, play right, catch and throw better, etc... I got a hand-me-down glove from Ivan, which at one point ended up with his sisters. I have to explain this everytime I leave the glove lying around and hear someone say, "Ilona loves Ricky Martin??"

The people on my team are SO NICE too. The coach is great and there is another team member who I call my personal coach (PC). Unfortunately he gets to help out the most girly girl of them all - me, who can't throw if my life depended on it. He did get a bunch of players into the Major Leagues, including some current Yankee players, so I figured if anyone could teach me, it would be him.

After the first game, we beat another team from our company and I had, surprisingly, the 2nd best batting average of the team at 0.667! I kept telling people that it's all downhill from here, but the team was supportive.

Former Team Member : You go Sandra!
After our 3rd game, I was still 2 for 3 and still had a 0.667 batting average. I still don't think I'm really that good though. I'd be happier when I'm at the point where I can catch and throw aggresively - i.e. when the heat is on, baby.


Opposing Team Member: Oh please. I remember you hit a couple balls down the third base line that we perfectly placed. I think you sit there and smile like you have no clue then bam. There is a nice hit ball for a single. =)
Well, I don't like to sit there and smile like I have not clue exactly... After last week, we went into an extra inning and finally beat a team that beat us once before. I was a sub runner but I got home in time to end the inning at 12-11. Whew!

Current Team Member: where are the stats? I want to see how much further behind Sandra I fell...

Anyway, last game I didn't do as great, so my numbers may come down a bit. But I did get a few RBIs in! =) Afterwards we went to a bar nearby to meet up with several other teams that had games that day. Below is my PC, our team coach, and me and a co-worker (who's on the other team! *Grrr*).


IMG_7956 IMG_7965

4 comments:

noel said...

"Below is my PC, our team coach, and me and a co-worker (who's on the other team!)"

it's not nice to reveal to the internet that your coworker "bats for the other team."

Liza said...

I joined the softball team at work, too (eh, I figured why not). I haven't done anything yet because we haven't held our first practice. I don't anticipate doing so well considering how little I know about sports in general. I mean, I had no idea that the ball used in softball isn't actually, well, soft.

noel said...

i've heard (because i hear myself speak) that i'm the BEST BLOGGER EVAR.

Shaman8933 said...

Heh heh...don't be starting any false rumor, I only speak on the game of Softball...

Hi Loren! Hehehe...you can stop by whenever...maybe we can meet up for brunch! =)

The rules for SOftball are pretty close to baseball, but we do slow pitch...I'm the catcher so I call the shots! Hahahaha.... =)