Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hudson County Businesses

I was walking around the side streets of Hoboken I struck up conversation of a man who owened (and was selling) his produce store.  Apparently when he opens, everyone is at work and when he closes everyone just comes home.  I asked him why he didn't just change his hours - times are different now - there are no steady market of housewifes spending the family money on the businesses of their neighborhoods.  I myself do spend some of my earnings on business closer to where I work vs. where I live.  

So a part of what I want to start doing, and you can call it my New Years Resolution, is to start buying locally without breaking the bank. 

Here I will list all the places of business I'd like to start supporting:


JERSEY CITY HEIGHTS

Palisade Wine & Liquor
These folks will buy anything you request - the funny thing is that they don't even drink themselves.  They are also planning on opening an organic food store in the area.

HOBOKEN

Paramus Meats
305 1st Street, Hoboken, NJ
I bought pork, bacon, ground beef, and whole chickens here.  The taste and quality of purchasing directly from a butcher is unquestionable.  
IMG_5173
The Cheese Store
http://thecheesestorehoboken.com
I bought some gureir and chedder - they will let you sample the cheese if you want to try something new!
 
Send me a note if you know others.  I'm trying to been a good Earth citizen and go for organic, fair trade, etc...

No comments: